Monday, February 6, 2017

Tashkent tourism - bread

After the conference I had a few hours to be a tourist in Tashkent. One of the places I enjoyed seeing the most was a bakery.
"Non" is Uzbek (and Tajik) for "bread"--English speakers can of think "naan" from Indian restaurant experiences.
First we walked past a lot of stalls selling various kinds of bread:
 These flatter designs are to be used as "plates" or "bowls" with sweet or savory food:
This bakery emporium also has stalls selling fancy desserts:
 After walking the past the stalls, we came to the bakery section. Bread is stamped:
and then placed into a "tandyr" (cf "tandoor") oven:
Bread is often loaded on cycle stands...
...and sold elsewhere in the city:
We ended our visit buying a hot somsa pastry filled with potato to eat on the spot (sorry my photos of those didn't turn out well) and a small round of bread (which I was thankful to have in my bag during that long wait at the airport).

I'm looking forward to seeing how Tajik non is the same or different from Uzbek non.



No comments:

Post a Comment