Thursday, February 23, 2017

A gastrointestinal bug--ugh!

"It's not a matter of if, but when," an American in Dushanbe told us, speaking of giardia. Not us! I thought. We're scrupulous about boiling our water, only eating hot food when out, avoiding raw vegetables, and washing our hands. But he was right. It started with a slight fever and nausea and progressed to a need to stay close to the bathroom.
I was sad to have to call with regrets for not being able to attend this afternoon's meeting with the director of my host university.
Following instructions from our source, Lee went out to a pharmacy--there are usually several on every block--and got some medicine. It cost 50 cents.

Hmm....here they have inexpensive meds, but an inadequate water purification system. In the U.S. we have clean water (in most places), but high pharmacy costs...

Besides the physical distress of illness, being sick makes me depressed. Things that in the past month seemed like a wonderful adventure now feel like great burdens.

Trusting that I'll feel better tomorrow! --Kitty


3 comments:

  1. Praying for your swift and full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NO!!!!! Feel better soon, Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry that you must deal with this, but I think the American was probably right. I remember my brief visit. When the local director walked in on Friday morning of the first week she said, "Oh Nancy. You're excellent." I asked how I was excellent, and she said, "You're not sick yet." Unfortunately it wasn't my professional skills that impressed her, it was going four and a half days without getting sick. :)
    Do be careful not to let anyone pour a drink for you into even a partially damp glass. We Americans aren't resistant to even tiny little drops of contaminated water.

    ReplyDelete