Sunday, May 7, 2017

Airborne—Jumping out of a plane!

Having turned 60, I'd been looking for an opportunity to do something bird-like, and attempts to paraglide in Santa Barbara after celebrating my 55th had been thwarted by weather. But here in Dushanbe an expat friend connected us to an aviation and parachute club at a local technical school...and I got to jump out of a plane today.

After an early start and a long ride outside of Dushanbe, we (along with an eventual total of about dozen jumpers) arrived at a hangar where a quick blood pressure check was part of the process.

Then we did some training to ensure safe footing as we landed (knees bent, feet together).

Next in the training was getting into a harness to get used to its feel and learning its fasteners.

Then we lined up and got our parachutes fitted on us.

They switched my headgear--I'm the tall guy with the white helmet.

Here is our primary instructor who was especially kind to review the information with me in English. Some years ago he had a native speaker of English encourage him to use the language, not just study it--and he's kept practicing. 

The we marched out to the field to join our plane wearing the 20kg (44lb) parachute and reserve chute. There were many repeat jumpers there today, and no one ever said they'd used their reserve chute. It was a warm day and the chutes felt heavy.

Here I'm climbing into our plane; it has been put together with parts from three previous planes (engine from one, fuselage from another...), and was recently given a thorough maintenance overhaul and. My expat (aviation tech) friend showed up as well, and he was happy with the safety checks. No Yelp reviews were available (ha ha), so I relied on those who had confidence in the plane and pilots.


In a couple of minutes, we were up, and circled the small grassy landing strip, and reached our planned 800 meter altitude. With the plane's door propped open, I was the second to exit (via a static line that automatically pulled the chute as you jumped out). I was nearly that largest person jumping, and went early in the queue. This is in order to keep heavier people from falling into lighter (slower falling) people's canopies/chutes. A good plan!  It was pretty easy to jump out, with a dozen people waiting behind me. Every two seconds....

I expected more adenaline. It was fun but not scary. That's me — wearing the white helmet (you may have to zoom in!).

The two minutes of descent went quickly, and the view was glorious. Green hills and a sunny sky. But then I began to see the earth coming up more quickly than before, and it was time to land!

A decent landing. As I was blown somewhat sideways and back during the last few seconds, I sat down after my feet hit, then began to gather my chute to stuff it in a bag and walk back the 200yds or so to the meeting spot.  The terrain was rough, deeply rutted and had knee-high grass. Footing was challenging (remember I had 44lbs of gear with me!). I turned an ankle on one unseen rut, but was able to get back to the group OK.

Then we chatted about our experience, shared pictures with new friends, and watched three other groups jump. 

Walking out with my load back to the parking area, another rugged terrain hike on a weak ankle caused another tweak. Sigh.  It's a bit swollen, apparently but not from the jump!  I've had many sprains from volleyball, and this one isn't too bad.  In a few days (Rest, Ice, Compresses, Elevation--and ibuprofen!) I should be close to normal again.


No comments:

Post a Comment