Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Conference

On Friday June 9th my department (Linguistics) held a conference at our university (Moscow State University Lomonosov, Dushanbe Branch).

This was another source of cross-cultural learning for me, as it wasn't like the TESOL conferences I'm used to. (Perhaps more like a Linguistic Society of America or International Association of Applied Linguists meeting?) It was labeled an "international scientific and practical conference" titled "Current problems in Philology and Linguodidactics." Yes, that's the English translation. How the Russians love their long words!

Some talks I translated from the program with the help of google include: "Comparative analysis of participles in Russian, English, and Tajik," "Some questions about the psycholinguistic analysis of statements in the Russian language," "Semantics of words derived from the concept of 'beauty' in Tajik, Russian, and English linguaculture," "The Concept of 'Spring' in the poetry of Marina Tsetaeva," and "Classification of Euphemisms in Political Speeches." Four of the talks were in English, two in Tajik, and about a dozen in Russian. I know some random words in Russian, like "spring" and "word," and I can guess the cognates, like semantika and klassifikatsiya, but for most of the day I had to let the language roll over me.

I was asked to do the opening plenary. 10 minutes like all other talks (except that time wasn't too strictly enforced). I'm not sure my "Balance in Language Teaching"--practical as usual from me--set the right tone for the rest of the conference. However, they've heard me speak all semester and know my style.

I'd also coached two of the teachers who've attended both my methodology and my academic writing classes in doing and writing up some action research. They boldly tried presentations different from the others--one on jigsaw reading in his English for geology students class, the other on improving students' presentations in her international relations class.
 Given that many presenters gave no visual support to the audience and read their papers, I was proud of these faculty members.

Here are some other photos from the conference:





No comments:

Post a Comment